- Antioxidant Formulas
- Cardiovascular Support
- Cerebral Function / Emotional Well-Being
- Digestive/Intestinal Support
- Essential Fatty Acids
- Glandular Formulas
- Glucose Metabolism
- Immune Support
- Joint Support - Enzymes
- Liver Support
- MAXXUM Daily Supplement Family
- Men's Health
- Minerals/Bone Support
- Respiratory Support
- Vitamin Formulas
- Women's Health
Oxidative stress contributes significantly to the pathogenesis of common eye disorders in older Americans. OcuPlus is a broad spectrum formula combining antioxidant nutrients and botanicals associated with protection of eye structures.
- Individuals with low plasma concentrations of carotenoids and antioxidant vitamins are at increased risk for undesirable age-related changes in the eyes; carotenoids and antioxidant vitamins may help to retard some of these destructive processes (Am J Clin Nutr 1995 Dec;62:1448S-1461S).
- The xanthophylls, lutein and zeaxanthin, may play a special role in the health of the eyes; studies have found that their long-term intake appeared to support the health of the macula and the ocular lens (Optometry 2004;75:216-30; Nutrition 2003;19:21-4).
- The flavonoid quercetin inhibits aldose reductase, which may reduce accumulation of sorbitol byproducts in the ocular lens (Biochem Pharm 1976;25:2505-2513).
- Bilberry is high in anthocyanoside flavonoids that possess potent antioxidant activity, and show promise in protecting eye tissues from oxidative damage (Ann Ottamol Clin Ocul 1989;115:109; Ann Ottalmol Clin Ocul 1987;113:1173-7).
- Ginkgo biloba extract has an antioxidant, free-radical scavenger effect on the retina; it inhibits or reduces damage caused by oxidative insults (Int J Tissue React 1995;17: 93-100).
- Taurine, a conditionally-essential sulfur amino acid, is found in high concentration in the retina, where it participates in photoreceptor function and provides protection from lipid peroxidation (Neurochem Res 2004;29:151-60; Nutr Rev 1975;33:343-7).
Suggested use for adults: 2-4 capsules daily, taken with meals, or as directed.